Second Division - Day 34

Tenerife moved back to the top of the second division pending Sunday's games after a 2-0 win over neighbours Las Palmas on Saturday evening. It was not an easy win though, and the visitors had the better of the first half. However a sell-out crowd saw Richi latch on to Juanlu's pass to open the scoring ten minutes in to the second half, and top scorer Nino made sure of the victory with an angled shot past Santamaria with ten minutes to go.

Zaragoza moved up to third after beating Eibar 2-3, Arizmendi getting the winner a quarter of an hour from the end after the locals had fought back from two down to equalise. Gabi headed the visitors in to an early lead from Jorge López's cross, and Arizmendi headed a second from a corner close to half time. But Beltrán headed one back after the restart, and Añibarro got ahead of Pavón to equalise before Arizmendi beat Zigor with an angled shot.

Hércules stay in fourth spot after they were held to a 0-0 draw by Castellón. The Alicante based side hardly created any chances throughout the game, and the locals could have won it had Víctor Salas, Nsue and Mario not wasted chances.

Alavés kept their hopes of survival alive after a 0-1 victory at Girona, and they ended the day four points away from safety. The best chances fell to the locals, but they were unable to beat an excellent Bernardo in the visiting goal. And the Vitoria based side scored with virtually their only shot at goal, Cuevas netting in the eighteenth minute after combining with Juanjo. The visitors ended with nine men and their hosts with ten after Raúl Llorente, Albacar and Igor were all sent off in the second half.

Murcia are now only two places above the relegation spots after a 3-0 defeat at Gimnàstic. All the goals came after the break, Jordi Alba starting things off with a shot in to the top corner of the net and Víctor converted a much disputed penalty a few minutes later. The visitors had Movilla sent off on the hour mark, and Moisés wrapped things up for the Catalans near the end.

Córdoba are now level on points with Murcia after a 1-1 draw at Albacete. After a dull first half Iker Begoña headed the Manchegans in to the lead following a corner. But Pierini headed in a free kick midway through the second half to save a valuable point for his team. (25.04.09)

Xerez kept up their push for promotion with a 2-0 victory over bottom club Sevilla Atlético on Sunday evening. The locals suffered early on though against their regional rivals, and Pouga could have scored before Mario Bermejo headed in Mendoza's cross a few minutes before the break. However Luque made it two with an individual effort soon after the restart to take the Andalusians back above Tenerife to the top of the table.

Rayo Vallecano drop out of the top three though after a surprise 2-0 defeat to Alicante. The locals had not won at home in almost seven months and Rayo had gone sixteen games without defeat. But Azkoitia scored a goal in each half, the first in the eighth minute from Pedro's assist and the second with an angled shot late on, to give the East coast side a much-needed win.

Real Sociedad kept their slim hopes of promotion alive after a 1-2 win at Huesca. The Basque side went two up before the break, Abreu opening the scoring with a long shot in only the first minute, and Aranburu making it two on the half hour mark. But Camacho got one back two minutes after the restart, and the visitors had to hold on after Markel was sent off with half an hour left on the clock.

Real moved up level with Salamanca, who could only draw 1-1 against Elche. David Fuster put the visitors ahead with a shot from the edge of the area in the twentieth minute. But Quique Martin saved a point for the home side in the third minute of injury time, even though they were down to nine men after Pellegrín and Jorge Alonso were sent off.

Levante are now three points behind Real and Salamanca after they drew 2-2 at Celta, although they will be grateful for a point after coming from two goals down to level the scores. An Oscar Díaz header and an effort from Ghilas either side of half time gave the Galicians the lead. But Pedro Vega scored twice in the second half to save a draw and leave Eusebio's side just two places above the drop zone. (26.04.09)