Second Division - Day 2

Although the first division took a short break for international weekend, the second division carried on. Recreativo showed that their intentions are to return to the top flight as soon as possible, and they are co-leaders after a 2-0 win over Castellón. Adrián Colunga opened the scoring on the half hour mark after a long run, and Javi Fuego got the second with a quarter of an hour to go, volleying home a corner. It was Recre's first home win since January.

Recre share the lead with new boys Cartagena, who beat Rayo Vallecano 2-0. Toché headed them in to a first half lead from Víctor's free kick, and although Jofre hit the bar in reply, the visitors were left with ten men when Movilla got himself sent off for a second bookable offence in the first minute of the second half. Tato rounded things off in injury time, and Rayo ended with nine men after Ángel was also sent off late on.

Huesca occupy third spot pending Sunday's games after drawing 1-1 with Las Palmas. Iriome gave them an early lead when he headed in a cross from Camacho, but Francis headed the equaliser before the break with another header from a corner. The locals felt themselves unlucky not to take the three points though after Rubiato had a goal disallowed later on.

Nàstic are fourth after a 1-1 draw with neighbours Girona, the side who knocked them out of the cup midweek. Morán put them ahead from José Marí's cross in the first half, but Peragón levelled the scores after the restart, poking a shot past Rubén Pérez after Kiko Ratón had headed on a long clearance from Dani Mallo.

Another 1-1 draw between Levante and Cádiz, with Dani Carril heading in Juanlu's corner to open the scoring with half an hour gone, and Enrique giving the Andalusians their first point of the season after the interval. The home side came close to winning though when Javi Guerra headed against the bar in injury time.

Córdoba also got their campaign under way with a 3-1 victory over Villarreal B. Played at temperatures of over 40ºC, two goals from Pepe Díaz and one in between from David Lopes put the locals three up at the break. All the goals were set up by Arteaga. Marcos Rubén got one back early in the second half with an angled shot past Raúl Navas, but it was too late to change the result. (05.09.09)

Numancia top the table at the end of day two after a 4-1 victory over Elche on Sunday evening. Garmendia started things off in the first minute with a low shot, and headed the last near the end from Nano's centre. Del Pino scored his side's second on the stroke of half time after Iñigo's effort came back off the bar, and Mario netted the third a few minutes after Jesús Perera had got one back for the visitors.

Hércules are fifth after beating promotion rivals Betis 3-2. The visitors played for over an hour with ten men after Sunny was sent off for a second bookable offence, but they came back twice before the home side got the winner five minutes before the final whistle. Tiago headed the first for the Alicante based side from Rufete's cross, with Pavone setting up Sergio García for the equaliser a couple of minutes later. Tiago restored the lead after the restart though, and although Pavone made it all square again from the penalty spot after Rodri was fouled, Sendoa wrapped things up late on.

Curiously there were no away wins this weekend, although five games ended in draws. That included the one between Real Sociedad and Murcia, which finished without goals and virtually without goal-scoring chances, and the one between Salamanca and Celta, which ended 1-1. New signing Despotovic opened the scoring at the start of the second half, but Trashorras saved a point for the Galicians with a well struck free kick with an hour gone. Salamanca ended with ten men after Rossato was sent off later on.

Elsewhere Albacete got their first points on the board with a 1-0 win over Real Unión, Sousa scored the only goal with twenty minutes to go after Altobelli set him up to leave the Basque side in joint bottom spot with Elche. (06.09.09)