Copa del Rey

Quarter finals, second leg

Matches played on 2nd February

Betis are through to the semi-finals, but only by the skin of their teeth! Their second division B opponents Gramanet just didn't know when to lie down, and they fought back right up until the last minute before finally losing 4-3 on the night. After a 2-2 draw in the first leg, it appeared that the first division club were on the way to a comfortable victory when they went two goals up midway through the first half, Fernando opening the scoring after Morales failed to hold on to Edu's shot, and Rivas heading a second from Assunçao's free kick. But Miki pulled one back after the break, and although Oliveira restored the two goal cushion, Rubén Blaya reduced the gap to one goal again just a few minutes later. Again Assunçao seemed to have wrapped things up with a free kick five minutes from the end, but Aaron poked home a third goal for his side to give the home fans the fright of their lives.

Betis will not be joined by their city rivals Sevilla in the semi-final draw though after Joaquín Caparrós's team were beaten 3-1 by an Osasuna side who are making a habit of knocking them out of the competition (they did so for example in the same round two seasons ago). The Andalusians 2-1 advantage from the first leg was cancelled out midway through the first half when Valdo got on the end of Clavero's cross to head past Notario, and with away goals counting double the Pamplona based side were in front. The visitors threw on all their attacking force, but Cuéllar put the hosts further ahead when he headed home a long free kick from Pablo García twenty minutes from the end. And Muñoz wrapped things after taking a pass from Valdo up on a quick breakaway two minutes from the final whistle. Sevilla substitute Makukula did get back a consolation goal after connecting with Antoñito's cross in the dying seconds, but it was too late to change the result.

Match played on 3rd February

Athletic Bilbao are the third side to make it through to the semi-finals after beating second division side Valladolid 0-1 in the Nueva Zorrilla stadium. Defending a 3-2 lead from last week, the Basques were in control for most of the game, although the first chance fell at the other end to Aduriz who shot over the bar. Some 4,000 Athletic fans were amongst the 14,000 crowd, and they thought they had scored when Etxeberría shot just wide when free in front of goal on the half hour mark. Local coach Sergio Kresic made three attacking substitutions around the hour mark and his side pushed forward, but they were caught out when Etxeberría raced into the area and was brought down by young full back Rafa twenty minutes from the end. Yeste converted the kick to put the result beyond the reach of their opponents, who see their excellent cup run come to an end.

Match played on 16th February

Atlético Madrid scraped through to the semi-final of the cup after beating Numancia 1-0 in their rescheduled second leg tie. It took a controversial penalty for them to do so though, Fernando Torres falling into the area under Antonio's challenge midway through the second half and convincing referee Carmona Méndez to award the spot kick. Torres himself stepped up to drive the ball past Nuñez for what was to be the only goal in 180 minutes of football. Atlético could have sewn things up earlier on though when an inspired Ibagaza set up Salva twice in front of goal, but the striker headed the first effort against the bar and fired the second straight at the keeper. The visitors were still in with a chance after Torres's strike as, with the first leg ending score-less, an away goal would have taken them through. But although Maximo Hernández threw on all his fire power they were unable to get a shot on target. Hernández was eventually shown a red card by Carmona for protesting, summing up a frustrating night for the Soria based side. Atlético are the team who go through though, and they join Osasuna, Betis and Athletic Bilbao in Friday's semi-final draw.