Copa del Rey

Third round

Match played on 19th October

The third round of the cup kicked off this week, with the eleven first division sides not competing in Europe joining the 17 survivors from earlier rounds. And there was already a surprise in the first match, Second division Eibar beating their first division neighbours Alavés 1-0. The locals took the lead in the first minute of the game when ex Athletic forward Arriaga beat Ardouin, and the visitors' only reply in the first half was a free kick from Lacen which Etxeberría tipped over the bar. Cos threw everything forward after the break, a long effort from Pellegrino bouncing back off the bar ten minutes from the end, and defender César doing well to block the follow up from Antchouet. But Alavés could do nothing to break down the defensive wall, and their president Dmitri Piterman had to eat his words after saying before kick off that his side would win at a trot.

Matches played on 20th October

Another four first division sides were dumped out of the competition by second division B teams on Thursday evening. Mallorca suffered a humiliating 4-1 defeat at the hands of Alcoyano, who took the lead on the quarter hour mark when Parrado headed past Moyà. Sergio Mesa made it two from the penalty spot after the keeper brought him down, and substitute Antoñana got a third after the restart from a possible offside position. Okubo took advantage of a defensive mistake to pull one back, but Antoñana wrapped things up with a fourth goal near the end.

Racing Santander were unable to take advantage of several chances, and in the end were beaten 1-0 by Burgos. Manolo Preciado put out a side packed with his second string players, but they had several chances to finish things off early on, with Wilfred Dalmat and Raúl Martín both failing to score. The home side had not troubled Toño for most of the game, but with ten minutes to go Obolo headed Tartara's free kick against the bar, and Aguilar headed in the rebound much to the delight of the local fans.

Real Sociedad were unable to score even one goal from the penalty spot, and after extra time ended 1-1, they fell in the shoot out to Zamora. The Basque side went behind when San Miguel headed home a corner ten minutes before the break, and De Paula had a chance to equalize when local keeper Vilches was sent off after bringing down the striker. Third choice keeper José Luis came on to save his spot kick, but De Paula did level the scores with a header later on. However José Luis saved Boris's kick in the shoot out and Novo, Agirretxe and Garrido all missed, and José Luis himself fired home the final penalty to take his side through 2-0.

Málaga were also beaten by Baza on penalties after their match finished 1-1. The Granada based side surprised their bigger rivals when Porras crashed a free kick past Goitia in the fifth minute, but Chengue Morales levelled the scores ten minutes later. Curtido hit the post for the locals and had a goal disallowed, and a rattled Tapia threw on Salva in the second half, the striker missing a chance to put his side ahead soon afterwards. Baza also had a claim for a goal turned down by the referee in extra time when Goitia appeared to carry the ball over his line, but Nacho almost settled it for the visitors when he shot against the crossbar late on. Home team keeper was the hero in the end though, saving penalties from Gerardo and Anderson to take his side through 4-3.

Zaragoza were very close to going out on penalties as well after a 1-1 draw at Alicante. The first 90 minutes ended without goals, but at the start of the second half of extra time Alvaro García headed the home side into the lead. Víctor Muñoz had already brought on Savio and Diego Milito at the break, and he used his last substitution to introduce Camacho, an inspired move as the midfielder picked up a pass from Ewerthon to score the equaliser with his first kick. Soon afterwards Calderón was sent off for the hosts, but they held on for a penalty shoot out which started to go against the first division side when local keeper Chema saved Diego Milito's kick. But Luque missed the fifth and final penalty which would have given Alicante victory, and César saved from Alvaro in the sudden death stage to take his side through 5-6.

A late header by Kezman gave Atlético Madrid a 0-1 win at Las Palmas in front of a crowd of 15,000. Carlos Bianchi put out a strong side, missing only Petrov, whereas his opposite number Visjnic rested many of his first choice players with a return to the big time a higher priority than the cup. Fernando Torres chipped a shot onto the bar as Atlético dominated, but the Canary Islanders were dangerous on the counterattack and Marcos Márquez had a goal controversially disallowed by referee Moreno Delgado and also shot just wide near the end. But with extra time on the carfds Kezman got on the end of an Ibagaza free kick to head home the winner.

Athletic Bilbao also had some problems in their 0-1 victory against neighbours Real Unión in the border town of Irún. With his side struggling in the lower reaches of the table, Mendilibar saw the opportunity to get things back on track, and only changed his keeper from his usual line ups. Etxeberría put an early effort wide and Yeste had a goal disallowed for hand ball as the first division side controlled the first half, but the hosts did cause some problems for Lafuente on the counter-attack. Javi González struck home a spectacular volley though five minutes in to the second half, and only a late effort from Sergio Francisco put the result in doubt. The home side ended with ten men when Sukia was sent off for a second bookable offence in injury time.

A hat-trick by Celta's Jesús Perera knocked out Tenisca, the only third division side left in the competition. The Galicians were in control from the first minute, when Perera got on the end of De Ridder's cross to open the scoring. The striker added a second midway through the first half after the defence failed to clear Angel's free kick, but only a minute later the La Palma based side pulled one back through Iván. There were some nervous moments for the visitors before Perera established the 1-3 scoreline on a rapid counter attack in the second half.

Cádiz were another first division side to struggle, and they had to wait until extra time before beating Albacete 1-3. Iván Anía headed the Andalusians into the lead midway through the first half, but Pacheco equalised from the penalty spot on the stroke of half time after Santi was pushed in the area. Rubén Reyes hit the post and Gato shot just wide as the hosts pushed forward after the restart, but the game went in to extra time and Oli took advantage of slack marking to put the visitors ahead. Santi got himself sent off a few minutes later after picking up a second yellow card, and Milosavljevic wrapped things up after a mistake by keeper Rubén Martín.

Getafe won their local derby match at Rayo Vallecano 1-2, even though Michel's side staged a late comeback. Redondo had a goal disallowed for the visitors and then was lucky not to give away a penalty when he handled at the other end early on. Vivar Dorado and Pachón combined to set up Gavilán for the first goal on the half hour mark, and Craioveanu made it two just before the break with a shot which took a deflection off Amaya. Geni pulled one back near the end of the match, but Bernd Schuster closed ranks and ran down the clock to the end.

L'Hospitalet recovered from two down on their artificial pitch to beat Catalan rivals Gimnastic Tarragona 4-3. Pagés put through his own net early on and Bolo added a second later in the first half for Nàstic, but goals from Rubén Soler and Roger squared the match after the restart. Ismael put the second division A side back in the lead ten minutes from the end, but Rubén Soler got his second of the night and Valera struck the winner on a last minute counter attack to take the lower division team through.

Lleida made it through with a goal in the last minute of extra time to defeat the new Logroñes CF 0-1. Neither side created many chances in the first 90 minutes, only Furiga testing visiting keeper Rangel and Sergio Rodríguez putting a good chance wide at the other end late on. The home side were left with ten men when Ibarra was sent off, and Rodríguez took advantage to score the winner with an angled shot in the last minute, shortly before Nacho also picked up a red card for the locals.

Second division leaders Xerez beat Numancia 3-2 in the only match between two sides of the same category. Guille headed the home side in front in the ninth minute, but Tete had to keep out Graff before Pedro Ríos got his side's second with an overhead kick on the hour mark. Guzmán came on to pick up a pass from Guille to make it three just a few minutes later, and it seemed to be all over. However Del Pino got one back with five minutes to go and Pineda set up a nail biting last few minutes when he reduced the gap to one goal in injury time after his penalty was blocked by the keeper. (20.10.05)