Copa del Rey

Final phase, first round second leg

Matches played on 11th January

Six teams qualified for the quarter final stage on Wednesday night, including last season's cup winners Betis, who's 0-0 draw at home to Celta was enough to take them through after a 1-1 tie in the first leg in Vigo last week. The Andalusians were on top for most of the game, and could have finished things off earlier if Dani's header had not come back off the bar and Fernando had not failed to convert the rebound. Doblas was only called into action to keep out a long Canobbio free kick and a weak shot from Baiano before the break, and Tardelli could have won it for the hosts when he shot just wide after a good run in the second half. Local coach Serra Ferrer wasn't on the bench to celebrate at the end though as he was sent off by the referee for arguing just before half time.

There was a similar result just down the road at the Sánchez Pizjuan stadium, but it was not enough for hosts Sevilla, who bow out thanks to their 3-2 first leg defeat at local rivals Cádiz. Knowing that a draw would take them through, the visitors sat back to defend, and only a couple of efforts from Luis Fabiano troubled Limia, who as third choice keeper was making his first start for the club. Juande Ramos threw on Maresca, Kanouté and Martí in the second half, and Martí rattled the crossbar later on. Kanouté could also have scored near the end, but Limia and his defence held on to the delight of a large contingent of visiting fans.

Deportivo had no problems at Osasuna after a 3-0 win in the Riazor last week, a controversial second half penalty ensuring their place in the last eight before the locals came back to win 2-1 on the night. Needing a big score the hosts got off to a frantic start, but they were gradually pegged back and Arizmendi hit the post for the visitors on the half hour mark. Miguel Flaño replied with another shot against the woodwork before the break, but referee Rubinos Pérez upset the home crowd when he pointed to the spot after Miguel Flaño pulled back Juanma, Víctor converting the resulting penalty. Home team coach Javier Aguirre got himself sent off as the game heated up, and Muñoz levelled the scores with another dubious penalty after a tackle by Romero on Raúl García. Romeo gave the Pamplona based side a 2-1 victory on the night with an injury time strike following a corner, but by then the tie was over and Depor were through. The Galicians want the final to be played in La Coruña in this their centenary year.

Barcelona were virtually sure of a place in the last eight after their victory against second division B side Zamora last week, but they made sure with a 6-0 rout in the Nou Camp. The game almost didn't take place as the visitors were stuck at Salamanca airport for several hours due to fog, and they only arrived an hour or so before kick off. And with less than sixty seconds on the clock they found themselves behind when Ezquerro rolled the ball in to the net after Van Bommel set him up. Larsson added two more in a minute soon afterwards, the first after Vilches had pushed out a shot from Gio, and the second after taking advantage of a hesitant defence to pick up Motta's long ball and score. Motta headed a fourth close to half time from Gio's corner, and Van Bommel made it five after the restart from Giuly's cross. And a late penalty from substitute Maxi López after the he himself had been tripped in the area wrapped things up. Even so the visitors put up a plucky fight and had several chances to beat Jorquera themselves, but in the end they could have lost by more after Larsson hit the woodwork twice and Van Bommel once later on.

There were six goals as well on the other side of town, but in Espanyol's case it was touch and go before a 3-3 draw against Getafe saw them through. Riki cancelled out Jarque's first leg strike within two minutes from Nano's cross, and put Schuster's side ahead in the tie with a second headed goal after Gorka pushed on a corner a few minutes later. But midway through the first half Edu Costa got one back with a shot from the edge of the area, and Jonathan (probably playing his last game before moving out on loan) levelled the scores after turning in Juanfran's cross soon after the restart. A quarter of an hour later Jonathan got his second of the night after good work by Corominas, but a Pernía penalty near the end after Moisés fouled Diego Rivas set up a nail biting finish.

Valencia also suffered against neighbours Villarreal despite their two goal cushion, Miguel finally putting their fears at rest with a second half strike to give them a 1-0 win. Quique Flores's side had the better of the opening minutes, Regueiro going close and Mista and David Villa both testing López Vallejo, who was given an outing due after Viera was rested and Barosa had to serve out a one match ban. But Forlán brought a good save out of Butelle before the interval, and Riquelme almost beat the keeper with a free kick after the restart. A few minutes later a strike from Gonzalo Rodríguez following a free kick was controversially ruled out for the positional offside of two of his colleagues, and almost immediately Miguel picked up a return pass from David Villa to score.

Match played on 12th January

Real Madrid cruised through to the quarter finals with a comfortable 4-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Thursday evening. López Caro put out a strong line up despite the victory the week before, and Beckham and Baptista both brought good saves out of Lafuente before Robinho opened the scoring after taking a return pass from Guti in the first half. Sergio Ramos made it two after the keeper failed to hold on to Beckham's free kick after the break, referee Fernández Borbolán waving away claims that the defender had forced the ball in to the net with his elbow, and Robinho was unfortunate not to be given a penalty when tripped just inside the area soon afterwards. With three minutes to go Soldado made it three when he headed a cross from Raúl Bravo wide of Lafuente, and in the last minute Robinho got a fourth, shooting in to an empty net after Soldado failed to connect with Beckham's cross.

Match played on 18th January

The tie between Atlético Madrid and Zaragoza was postponed after most of the Atlético squad went down with gastric enteritis. It was finally agreed that the first leg in the Calderón stadium would take place on 11th January, with the second leg in Zaragoza postponed to 18th January. The winners will take on Barcelona a week behind the rest of the quarter final ties, and decisions on further postponements will be made at later date. (11.01.06)

Zaragoza will be Barcelona's opponents in the quarter final after they drew 2-2 to Atlético Madrid in their postponed game from the previous round. Cani put Víctor Muñoz's side ahead in the tenth minute with a shot from close up after Falcón could only push out his first effort, but César did well to save from Kezman and Petrov fired another effort over the bar as the visitors came back. A good run by Cani though set up Oscar González to poke home a second, and with the Mañés already a goal up from the first leg the tie appeared to be over. However Kezman got one back on the half hour mark after Galletti's cross was pushed out by the keeper, and a quarter of an hour in to the second half Galletti levelled the scores on the night against his old side after Fernando Torres was tackled as he cut past a couple of defenders into the area. After that though Muñoz shut up shop, and his side held on desperately to the end. (18.01.06)