Champions League - first phase

Deportivo La Coruña are virtually qualified for the next phase after defeating Manchester United at Old Trafford by 2-3. In an open and exciting match, the English side took the lead early on through Van Nistelroy. However a misunderstanding between Barthéz and Brown let in Sergio for the equaliser, and two minutes later Tristán headed the Spaniards in to the lead. Van Nistelroy made it all square again before the break, but another mistake by Barthéz, coming out of his area and giving the ball away, allowed Tristán to score the winner in the second half.

Barcelona beat Bayer Leverkusen 2-1 to head their group on goal average at the end of the day. Rivaldo returned to Rexach's side and sent Saviola away with a quickly taken free kick to set up Kluivert for the opening goal. Ramelow equalised against the run of play from a corner, but Luis Enrique restored the lead before half time after Butt saved from Kluivert. The substitution of Xavi just after the restart left Barça void of ideas though, and only a fine performance from Bonano kept the German forwards at bay. (17.10.01)

Mixed fortunes for the two Spanish teams who played tonight. Real Madrid qualified for the second phase of the competition with their fourth win out of four, beating Anderlecht in Brussels 0-2. Roberto Carlos returned to the side after picking up an injury playing for Brazil, and he set up the first goal with twenty minutes gone, playing in a long ball towards Raúl which defender Ilic deflected past his own keeper. Madrid kept up the pressure and it was no surprise when they added to their lead, McManaman latching on to a loose ball in the area to shoot into the top of the net ten minutes before the end of the first half. After that they closed the game down, with Del Bosque resting players for the next league match in the second half.

While Madrid were winning, Mallorca were falling apart against a Schalke side who had not picked up a point in three previous games. There was some doubt before the match why their opponents full name is Schalke 04, but not afterwards as the visitors ran out 0-4 winners. The German side went two up early on as Van Hoogdalem beat Roa for the first and Hajto scored the second from the penalty spot after Nadal brought down Asamoah. Things got worse as Nadal was stretchered off injured after the incident, and Eto'o got himself sent off for diving in the penalty area and then protesting too strongly to the Dutch referee. Asamoah and Sand added late goals, and fans cried out for the head of manager Bernd Krauss at the end. (16.10.01)

News archive