If you are not a member yet, you can sign up here

News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 13

Xerez announced their candidature for a quick return to the top flight after beating promotion rivals Valladolid 4-0 on Sunday lunchtime. All the goals came after the break, with José Marí getting the first after connecting with Oscar Díaz's pass. The veteran striker then crossed in for Pablo Redondo to head a second on the far post, and with the two minutes to go he headed his second of the night after a corner was headed on. The visitors had no reply, and with the game in injury time José Marí completed his hat-trick to take his side up in to the play-off spots, now just two points behind their opponents in the table.

Later in the day Celta beat Albacete 3-1 to consolidate third place. The Galicians got off to a great start when David Rodríguez ran on to beat Keylor Navas in only the second minute. However with ten minutes to go to half time Abengózar equalised from the penalty spot after De Lucas pulled back De Lerma, and although De Lucas hit the post the scores were level at the break. De Lerma got himself sent off though for a two footed tackle midway through the second half, and goals in the last quarter of an hour from Joan Tomás and Trashorras gave Paco Herrera's side their first win in six games.

Numancia are just a point outside of the play-off spots after a 3-2 victory over Granada. Garmendia opened the scoring for Juan Carlos Unzué's side with a spectacular volley from Cedric's cross in the seventh minute, and a quarter of an hour later Iñigo Vélez beat Roberto for a second time with a shot from outside of the area. Mensah got one back for the visitors with just under an hour on the clock after Edu Navarro had saved a first shot, but Cedric ran on to restore the two goal cushion a few minutes later, and a late goal from Felipe came too late to change the result.

The result takes Numancia level with Granada in the table, a point above Villarreal B who held Córdoba to a 0-0 draw in their Archangel stadium. Both sides had chances in the opening minutes, with Arteaga and Iago Falqué both going close, but after that the two keepers were mere bystanders. Local striker Charles was sent off for a hard tackle on Hernan Pérez ten minutes before the break, and numbers were evened up when substitute Coría picked up a second bookng late on. The local fans booed off their players at the end having only won two of their seven home games.

A win at last for bottom club Tenerife, a 1-0 victory over Alcorcón only the second time they have taken the three points this season. Results elsewhere meant they started the game four points adrift of the sides above them, and new coach Juan Carlos Mandía was already under pressure to get a result. Visiting keeper Manu Herrera kept out Mikel Alonso and Natalio though, and Aragoneses had to respond with saves from Borja and Mora. Early in the second half though Nino picked up a long ball from Ricardo to score what was to prove the only goal of the game. (21.11.10)

Leaders Betis were beaten 2-1 by Cartagena, although they remain at the top of the table thanks to the five point cushion they had at the start of the weekend. All the action came after the break, Rubén Castro putting the visitors ahead with a low shot on the hour mark. With fifteen minutes to go however Beñat was sent off for a second bookable offence, and soon afterwards Mariano hit the bar for the locals. Betis held on though until the last five minutes, when Toché popped up to equalise with a direct free kick, and then score the winner a minute later following a corner. Pepe Mel's side were left with nine men when Miki Roqué was shown a red card for pushing an opponent, and Mel himself was also sent down the tunnel after his protests earned him a second booking.

Second placed Rayo Vallecano took advantage of Betis's defeat to move to within two points of their rivals after a 3-1 victory over Ponferradina. The visitors got off to an enthusiastic start, but with ten minutes to go to half time Armenteros put the home side ahead with a header from Piti's cross. And five minutes later Armenteros got his second of the evening after another assist from Piti over the top of the defence. Saizar latched on to a loose ball to get one back though soon after the restart, and the result was in doubt until Armenteros completed his hat-trick after Michel set him up with a couple of minutes to go.

Salamanca moved up to third pending Sunday's games after beating Las Palmas 4-2. Javi Guerrera twice put the Canary Islanders ahead, the first in the third minute with a lob over keeper Biel Ribas. Marcos Márquez set up Kike López to equalise a quarter of an hour later, but ten minutes in to the second half Guerrero picked up a pass from Vitolo to restore the lead. However Kike laid on another equaliser for Goikoetxea and then scored a third himself, and with seven minutes to go Moratón headed home Quique Martín's cross to make sure of the three points.

The other two games on Saturday evening both ended without goals, with Elche and Girona staying safely in mid-table after sharing the points in a 0-0 draw. Despotovic could have given the visitors the lead in the first minute when he shot just wide, but after that there were few chances for either side. Bodipo and Ripa did try their luck for the home side after the interval, but the defences came out on top and the crowd whistled off their own players at the end after another night without seeing their side score.

Gimnàstic and Huesca also drew 0-0, a result which left the locals still down in the drop zone and their opponents just a point above them in the table. The early chances fell to the visitors, but Powel came closest to scoring when his effort was pushed on to the post by Andrés. With a quarter of an hour to go Huesca had Sorribas sent off for a second booking, but even so they could have won it when Rubén Pérez pushed Gallardo's shot on to the bar late on. (20.11.10)

Barcelona Athletic missed out on another chance to move up to second spot after they were held to a 1-1 draw by Recreativo in the Friday night game. Luis Enrique's side went ahead midway through the first half with a Jonathan Soriano penalty after Raúl Cámara fouled Nolito in the area, and Soriano came close to making it two when he hit the post after the break. However the locals were left with ten men when Abraham was sent off for bringing down Acuña as he advanced on goal, and a few minutes later Aarón equalised with an impressive shot from outside of the area. The young striker though rather stupidly took off his shirt to celebrate the goal, and having already been booked the referee had no option but to give him a second yellow card and send him off. After that both sides settled for a point which kept Barça B in the upper reaches of the table, but left Recre still languishing down in the relegation spots. (19.11.10)