If you are not a member yet, you can sign up here

News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 30

One second division game on Monday night, with Valladolid drawing level with Girona in the table after beating the Catalans 1-0 in the Nuevo Zorrilla stadium. Abel Resino's side had the better of the first half, Javi Guerra and Oscar González going close a couple of times. Despotovic replied for the visitors though, and their defence held fast until six minutes from the end, when Javi Guerra headed past Santamaría to tie up a fourth home win in a row. (21.03.11)

Third placed Celta put an end to run of three defeats in a row with a 1-1 draw at Granada on Sunday lunchtime, although they end the weekend three points adrift of the automatic promotion spots. The locals themselves were looking to consolidate their position in the play-off spots, and they had the better of the play before they were caught out by Alex López late in the first half. However soon afterwards Dani Benítez hit the post, and before the half time whistle Benítez equalised with a shot from the edge of the area. A few minutes after the restart Orellana hit the post again for the locals, and after that both sides had their chances before deciding that a point was good enough.

Later in the evening Gimnàstic beat Numancia 1-0 to move up to seventeenth in the table, three points clear of the relegation spots. Powel opened the scoring against the run of play midway through the first half, but for the next half hour Nàstic were on top, Lafuente saving well from Morán and Powel either side of half time. Both keepers were called upon after that though, but the Catalans closed shop to ensure a third win in their last four games. (20.03.11)

Seven games on Saturday, with Betis returning to the top of the table thanks to a 1-0 victory over Salamanca. The Andalusians wasted several chances in the first half to take the lead, in particular a penalty after Ezequiel was brought down on the edge of the area which Emaná fired over the top. But it was not until ten minutes before the end that Salva Sevilla finally scored the winner, latching on to Jorge Molina's pass to beat Biel Ribas. Even so the visitors could have saved a point, Edu Bedía having a late goal ruled out for what the referee considered to be a previous foul by Marcos Márquez in the build up.

Betis move above Rayo Vallecano, who drop down a place after drawing 1-1 at Recreativo earlier in the evening. The home team were looking to move clear of the danger zone, and they took the lead in the eleventh minute with a move which Pablo Sánchez started and finished. Rayo didn't trouble local keeper Fabricio until the last quarter of an hour, but with the game in the third minute injury time Delibasic played a long ball on to Coke for him to equalise. That provoked the ire of the local players and supporters, who claimed a foul by Arribas on Aitor in the play, and Recre coach Carlos Ríos was shown a red card for his protests.

Barcelona Athletic stay in fourth place in the table despite a 1-1 draw at Huesca. Luis Enrique's side had scored no less than 18 goals in their last four games, but they were brought to Earth by the Aragón based team, who took the lead in the eighteenth minute when Tariq beat Oier with a shot in to the top corner of the net. Twenty minutes later Onésimo's side were left with ten men when Molinero picked up a second booking, and early in the second half Benja levelled the scores. But after that Huesca held off the Barcelona onslaught, and they felt themselves unlucky not to take the three points when Tariq had a late headed goal ruled out for a non-existent offside.

Elche are up to fifth spot, just a point now behind Barça B, after beating bottom club Ponferradina 0-1. Xumetra hit the bar as the locals dominated the first half, but after the restart De Paula headed against the post and Saizar had an effort cleared off the line by a defender with the keeper beaten. But with the match in the last minute of normal time David Sánchez picked up a ball on the edge of the area to fire a shot past Alejandro and give his team their fourth win in a row.

It was a very low scoring day though, and there were no goals at all in the match between Alcorcón and Cartagena. The Madrid based side had won their last six home games, and they seemed to be on the way to another victory when visiting defender Juan Cala was sent off in the seventh minute for bringing down Pasco Montañés. Quini hit the post and Angel, Fernando Sales and Quini forced good saves out of Casilla either side of half time, but Juan Ignacio Martínez pulled his men back to defend, and they held on for a point which keeps them in the last play-off spot, still four points ahead of their opponents in the table.

Further down the table Córdoba moved seven points clear of the relegation spots after a 1-2 win at struggling Tenerife. Nino headed the Canary Islanders in to the lead from Dubarbier's cross in the twelfth minute, but Callejón equalised with a direct free kick later in the first half, and Charles rattled the woodwork for the visitors soon after the restart. A couple of minutes later things got worse for the locals when Melli was sent off with a straight red, and soon afterwards Alberto Aguilar beat Aragoneses for a second time to put the Andalusians ahead. Tenerife ended with nine men when Pablo Sicilia was also sent off in injury time, and Antonio Tapia's side ended the day further down in the drop zone.

Tenerife's neighbours Las Palmas are out of the bottom four though after a 0-1 victory at Albacete. The Manchegans had only taken two points since David Vidal took over six games ago, and they looked lost before the visitors went ahead when Alan Baró turned a Pedro Vega cross past his own keeper late in the first half. After that only keeper Kaylor Navas and some off target shooting prevented the Canary Islanders from increasing the lead, and any hope of a come back ended when Kike was sent off for a second bookable offence with seven minutes to go. (19.03.11)

Xerez moved back up to within a point of the play-off spots pending the rest of the weekend's games after a 1-2 victory over Villarreal B on Friday night. The Andalusians had gone six games without a win, but they took lead in the thirteenth minute when Gioda headed on Capi's cross, Héctor unable to anything other than turn the ball in to his own net. Midway through the second half Oscar Díaz made it two after José Marí set him up, but Gerard Bordas pulled one back with a shot on the turn four minutes later, and Dervite almost saved a point for the youngsters when he headed against the bar in the final minute. (18.03.11)