If you are not a member yet, you can sign up here

News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Play-off semi-finals, second leg

Granada are through to the play-off final after beating Celta in a thrilling penalty shoot out. The Andalusians were trailing by a single goal from the first leg, but within twenty minutes they levelled the tie, Orellana hitting the bar before heading in Siqueira's cross. Dani Abalo got the ball in the other net on the stroke of half time only to see his strike ruled out by referee Lesma López for what he considered to be a previous foul, but visiting keeper Yoel had to make a number of good saves before the locals were awarded a penalty for a foul by Català on Ighalo. Dani Benítez fired his spot kick against the post though, and after Orellana hit the woodwork again, the game went in to extra time. Once again Granada were awarded a penalty, this time for a dubious hand ball by Roberto Lago, but this time Yoel saved Benítez's kick. Lago was sent off minutes later after picking up a second booking, but Celta fought back, and this time it was the turn of Trashorras to rattle the woodwork twice. In to the penalty shoot out, and when Carlos Calvo put his kick over the top Celta had the advantage. Iago Aspas (who had given keeper Roberto a black eye in the first leg) converted his kick but was then red-carded for inciting the crowd, and Michu missed the fifth penalty which would have taken the Galicians through. Up stepped Roberto to score from his team's sixth spot kick, and then save from Català. Granada were through, but have they anything left for the final? (11.06.11)

Granada will play Elche over two legs next week for the one remaining promotion spot after Pepe Bordalás's side beat Valladolid 3-1 on Sunday. The visitors went in to the game with a one goal lead, and when Oscar González latched on to Nauzet's pass to beat Jaime midway through the first half it seemed to be over. But Elche came back with two goals from Edu Albacar free kicks in the three minutes leading up to half time, the first going through the hands of keeper Javi Jiménez, and the second (after the referee incorrectly awarded the kick for what he considered to be hand ball by Marc Valiente) curling over the wall inside Jiménez's right post. Valladolid's away goal still gave them the advantage, but ten minutes after the restart a terrible mix-up between Jordi and Jiménez ended with the defender turning a David Sánchez cross towards his own goal, and Ángel raced in to slide the ball over the line. After that the home side defended well, and Jaime was barely troubled. Valladolid's hopes of an early return to the top flight were dashed, and after the final whistle a frustrated Nauzet and Valiente were both shown red cards for insulting the referee. (12.06.11)