News Archive

Copa del Rey, quarter-finals, first leg

The other two quarter final ties took place on Thursday, Sevilla on track for a place in the last four after a 2-0 victory over second division Mirandés. N’Zonzi gave the Andalusians the lead midway through the first half, the ex Stoke City midfielder turning the ball into the net from close up following a series of rebounds. Soon afterwards Sagalli turned Carnicer’s pass onto the post, but visiting keeper Raúl Fernández had to be at his best to save from Gameiro and Reyes before the break, and Reyes, Krohn-Dehli and Gameiro after the interval. His opposite number Soria had to keep out Moreno at the other end though, and the result was in doubt until the the third and final minute of injury time, when Mariano and Krohn-Dehli combined to set up Vitolo for the second.

Earlier in the evening Valencia and Las Palmas drew 1-1, a result which favours the Canary Islanders going in to next Thursday’s second leg. The visitors hardly managed a shot at goal all night, but Zahibo headed Momo’s wide free kick past his own keeper Mat Ryan to put them in front shortly before the break. Alcácer, Rodrigo and Abdennour all went close in the first half however, and a shaky Raúl Lizoain almost let a back pass into his own net before Alcácer picked up a short pass from Dani Parejo to equalize on the hour mark. Negredo could have won it for the Ches had he not fallen over his own feet when free on goal late on, but it was another disappointing night for Gary Neville’s side, and the home fans booed their players off the pitch at the end. (21.01.16)

Spanish cup matches come thick and fast at this time of the year, and this week sees the quarter final first leg ties. Atlético Madrid were up first on Wednesday evening, and they take a slight advantage into next week’s second leg after a 0-0 draw at Celta. There were chances at both ends in an even first half, Jackson Martínez and Gabi going close for the visitors, and Moyà having to save from Iago Aspas, Guuidetti and Jonny at the other end. After the interval Martínez, Correa and Koke all tried their luck, although the closest anyone came to scoring was when ex Celta midfielder Augusto Fernández almost turned the ball into his own net, Gabi just getting back to clear the ball off the line. Atleti were also lucky to be let off a penalty appeal when the ball hit Thomas on the arm near the end, but once again they ended the ninety minutes without letting in a single goal.

Later in the evening Barcelona beat Athletic Bilbao 1-2, and they must now be favourties to go through. With Luis Suárez suspended and Messi not fully recovered from a knock against the same side at the weekend, Neymar found himself partnering Munir up front. The Brazilian striker saw his deflected effort pushed over the bar by Herrerín early on, but soon afterwards Munir got on the end of a Rakitic cross to slide a shot past the keeper, his fifth goal in the competition. Some six minutes later Neymar made it two, turning the ball into an empty net after Laporte and Herrerín failed to clear Sergi Roberto’s cross, and Munir could have added another when he hurried his shot on a quick breakaway after the restart. After that though the locals came back, Eraso shooting wide and Ter Stegen having to save a Sabín header following a corner. With two minutes to go Aduríz got on the end of a San José pass to score, and Stegen had to be at his best to push an effort from Sabín over the bar with the game in injury time. (20.01.16)