News Archive

Match round-up - Second Division A, Day 30

None of the top six teams were able to win this weekend, including current leaders Leganés, who were only able to draw 1-1 at Girona on Sunday evening. The Catalans were the better side for most of the match, Kiko Olivas and Lekic having strikes ruled out by the referee in the first half, and Serantes having to save from Cristian Herrera before Lekic got on the end of a Javi Alamo cross to give them the lead on the hour mark. Timor equalized though some ten minutes later from a Szymanowski assist, and both coaches settled for a point after that. Nàstic took advantage to move back up into the play-off spots, a 0-4 victory at Bilbao Athletic taking them right up to third place. Naranjo opened the scoring for the visitors after Juan Muñiz put him through midway through the first half, and Aburjania made it two with a shot from outside of the area some ten minutes after the interval. Ziganda threw on all of his fire power, but Emaná scored two more in the last twenty minutes to leave the youngsters firmly anchored to the foot of the table.

Córdoba are back up to fourth, a point behind Nàstic, after they drew 1-1 at Numancia. The Andalusians started well, Pedro Ríos, Fidel and Eddy going close before Ríos beat Munir following a short Fidel free kick. However with half time approaching David Concha levelled the scores from a Luis Valcarce centre to give the Soria based side their fifteenth draw of the season. Earlier in the day Zaragoza also drew 0-0 at Tenerife, a result which left them in fifth spot and, together with Nàstic’s win, bumped Osasuna out of the play-off spots. Local keeper Dani Hernández had to save from Angel early on, and the Canary Islanders responded with efforts by Javi Lara and Nano either side of half time which Manu Herrera kept out. Lara had a shot cleared off the line near the end, but in the end the scoreline remained unmoved.

Four of Sunday’s six games ended all square though, Mirandés staying level with Tenerife after they drew 1-1 at Mallorca. The locals had escaped the relegation spots midweek after beating Huesca, and they had a couple of chances before Sabater set up Ortuño to put them in front on the half hour mark. However shortly before the break Sangalli took advantage of some slack defending to equalize on his team’s first real attack, and visiting keeper Raúl Fernández in particular made an important save from Ortuño after the interval to snsure a point for his side. Mallorca stay three points above the bottom four, a point now above Huesca, who were beaten 2-1 by Ponferradina. Aguza put the home side in front after Railló headed on a corner in the fifth minute, and although Camacho headed the equalizer from a Morillas cross at the start of the second half, Jebor restored the lead a few minutes later. Fabri’s team have now taken seven points from their last three matches, and they move two points above their opponents as a result. (20.03.16)

Second placed Alavés were held to a 0-0 draw by Lugo on Saturday evening, their sixth game in a row without a victory. Both teams had chances in a lively first half, debutant keeper Pau Torres having to save from Pereira and Campillo, and Manu Barreiro testing José Juan at the visitors’ end. After the restart Pelegrín headed against the bar for the locals, and Juli came up against José Juan again, but in the end both coaches settled for a point. Alavés stay four points clear of the rest pending Sunday’s games though after the teams immediately below them lost, Osasuna for example beaten 3-1 by an Albacete side who had not won at home in almost four months. The Manchegans were under new management though after César Ferrando returned to the club to take over from Luis César Sampedro, and he saw his side go two up within half an hour, Pulido getting the first after Paredes headed back a Fede Vico corner, and Vico himself scoring the second with a long free kick which keeper Nauzet could only help in to the net. Urko Vera got one back though a few minutes later, and the result was in doubt until Rubén Cruz wrapped things up from the penalty spot after Roberto Torres handled in the area with five minutes to go.

Oviedo also stay four points behind Alavés after they lost 1-0 at Alcorcón, a third defeat in a row for the Asturians. They too had a new man in charge, Generelo taking over as caretaker after Sergio Egea surprisingly resigned midweek. The locals had not lost at home though since mid-October, and only a string of saves from Rubén Miño (who was replacing the injured Esteban) kept the scoreline unmoved. However with twenty minutes to go David Rodríguez was brought down by Jonathan Vila in the area, and the striker drilled home the spot kick to take his side to within a point of the play-off spots. Only three points now separate nine teams from third placed Oviedo to eleventh placed Lugo, Valladolid joining the throng after a 3-0 victory over next to bottom club Llagostera. Roger got on the end of a Mójica cross to open the scoring with half an hour gone, and Rennella added two more in the last twenty minutes, the first directly with an inswinging corner, and the second after René blocked a shot from Rodri. Valladolid are now level with Elche, who could only draw 0-0 with Almería. Keepers Javi Jiménez and Casto did have some saves to make, but the best chance fell to Sergio León late on, the striker brought down as he advanced on goal by Saveljich, who was shown a red card for the foul. The visitors held on though for a point which takes them to within one of escaping the drop zone. (19.03.16)