News Archive

Copa del Rey, second round

The last two ties were played on Thursday, with Osasuna and Cultural Leonesa going through to tomorrow’s third round draw. Osasuna were losing 1-2 to Albacete though before Xisco scored an injury time equaliser, and Quique headed the winner in extra time to make it 3-2 in the end. Cultural Leonesa were never behind however against Alcorcón, and although the locals pegged them back twice, goals by Pino and Buendía in the last half an hour took them through by a 2-4 scoreline. (07.09.17)

Most of the second round cup games took place on Wednesday, second division leaders Sporting Gijón and Numancia both winning 0-1 away from home at Reus and Oviedo respectively. There were three goal victories for Zaragoza against Granada, and for Tenerife at Rayo, and Córdoba and Valladolid also progress to the next round after beating Huesca and Lorca.

The twelve ties between lower ranked sides took place on Wednesday, with regional third division side Calahorra beating Leioa 2-0 after extra time. Of the teams relegated from last season, only Elche made it through after extra time against Durango, with Mallorca knocked out by Lleida on penalties, and Mirandés losing to Cartagena. UD Logroñés also went through on penalties, and Hércules and Olot needed extra time as well to win through their ties. Real Murcia, Ponferradina, Fuenlabrada, Gimnastica Segoviana and Talavera will aso be in Friday’s draw, as will Formentera, who beat Tarazona on the penalty shoot out in a tie which was delayed from the first round after they were given a second round bye. (06.09.17)

Second division A teams enter the competition at this stage, with two matches on Tuesday evening. Cádiz are the first side through after they beat Almería 1-0, David Barral firing home the winner midway through the first half. Lugo took a bit longer though before beating Nàstic on penalties after their match ended 1-1. Manu Barreiro’s early opener for the Catalans was soon cancelled out by Guille Donoso, and Omar put his kick wide and visiting keeper Roberto save two more for the Galicians to go through 1-3 in the shoot out. (05.09.17)